Best Waterproof Dry Bag Reviews 2019
You want to go on your next kayaking adventure and you want to take some items with you like your cellphone or a change of clothes and you don’t want them to get wet during your trip; that is why some intelligent person created dry waterproof bags. However, like other merchandise, not all dry bags are made in the same way or are the same purpose, and some are designed better than others. With that said, this review will cover five of the best dry bags on the market that provide excellent waterproof quality.
Best Seller – Earth Pak – Waterproof Dry Bag – Roll Top Dry Compression Sack
- RELIABLE PROTECTION: We believe our earth pak dry bags are the best out there--bar none. These dry bags are meant to last for years and...
- SHOULDER STRAP: 10L & 20L dry bags come with a 24-42 Inch single shoulder strap. 30L, 40L, and 55L waterproof backpacks are equipped with...
- IPX8 CERTIFIED WATERPROOF PHONE CASE: We have included our IPX8 Certified 6.5 Inch waterproof phone case that will fit even the largest of...
Last update on 2019-10-15 at 06:51 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API / More info
The Earth Pak waterproof dry bag is made from high-quality 500D PVC materials for long-lasting durability. The original dry bag design has welded leak-proof reinforced seams that protect against water leaking into the bag. The 10 and 20-liter dry bag comes with a single strap that can either go over the shoulder or crosswise over the chest for easy carrying. The 30-liter to 55-liter is designed with two shoulder straps that are padded for extra comfortability.
These larger sizes are also designed with a chest strap for distributing the weight evenly. The 55-liter dry bag also comes with a heavy-duty waist belt to secure the dry bag in place. These different sizes of dry bags are great for outdoor trekking, traveling, water activities, and camping trips. The roll top closure provides a leak-proof and airtight safeguard protection against the elements.
- Made out of high-quality 500D PVC material
- 24-42-inch single shoulder strap on 10-liter and 20-liter
- 30-liter to 55-liter comes with padded shoulder backpack straps and chest strap to distribute weight evenly
- The 55-liter comes with a heavy-duty waist belt
- Available in five capacities 10-liter to 55-liter
- IPX8 certified 6.5-inch waterproof phone case
- Welded leak proof reinforced seams
Verdict: The Earth Pak waterproof bag comes in a wide range of colors, from light blue to bright yellow sunshine to sleek black; it’s simple to find a color that suits you. Earth Pak is one of the best sellers on the dry bag market from its 10-liter to 55-liter capacity. All five waterproof dry bag capacities can pass the dimensions of a carry-on for most airlines.
- Eight unique colors to choose
- It comes with a waterproof phone case
- High quality and durable PVC material
- The seam weakens after some use
Top Pick – MARCHWAY Floating Dry Bag 5L/10L/20L/30L/40L, Roll Top Sack
- Lightweight Compact and Durable: Made from ripstop tarpaulin with sturdy welded seam which is designed for years usage, tear, rip and...
- Waterproof Guarantee: Solid roll-top closure system provides secure watertight seal. Keep your gear dry in any wet situation where the bag...
- Easy Operation and Cleaning: Just put your gear in bag, grab top woven tape and roll down tightly 3 to 5 times and then plug buckle to...
Last update on 2019-10-15 at 06:51 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API / More info
The MARCHWAY floating dry bag is made from waterproof 500D ripstop tarpaulin fabric that has resistance against punctures, tears, and abrasions. It is sewn together using strong Thermo welded seams, to ensure the perfect waterproof construction. The solid roll top sack closure system provides the dry bag with a secure airtight seal to prevent water leakage.
Once the dry bag is securely sealed with no air escaping or water leakage, it can float on the water without damaging your belongings. This lightweight design comes with an adjustable and removable shoulder strap for carrying on your shoulder or across the chest. Each size dry bag from MARCHWAY has plenty of room to store your belongings securely; in fact, the 40-liter size is large enough to carry an adequate amount of belongings for two people for an entire week.
- Adjustable and removable shoulder strap for going across the chest or shoulder carrying
- Lightweight, compact, and durable design
- Made from waterproof 500 D ripstop tarpaulin fabric
- Sturdy Thermo welded seams to ensure perfect waterproof construction
- Solid roll top closure system provides a secure and watertight seal
- Bag will float after the seal is closed securely
Verdict: The MARCHWAY floating dry bag is perfect for keeping your belongings dry when canoeing, kayaking, or boating. This 5-liter to 40-liter dry bag is available in 16 different colors and is one of the top picks in the dry bag market. These five roll top sacks are easy to wipe down because of its smooth style material surface.
- It has an easily portable and lightweight design
- Has a solid roll top closure to keep your things dry
- Provides a secure watertight seal
- Perfect for water activities, snow, or sand
- There is less waterproof performance when the roll top is not rolled tightly as recommended.
Best Value – Surfun Waterproof Dry Bag, Dry Sack with Shoulder Strap
- 100% waterproof Dry Sack with a fully adjustable and removable strap.
- Made of Heavy duty and durable Vinyl for rough usage.
- Protects contents from dust , dirt, sand and water,meanwhile,
Last update on 2019-10-15 at 06:51 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API / More info
The Surfan waterproof dry bag is made from heavy-duty and durable vinyl that is strong enough to handle rough usage. The sturdy welded seams create a flawless waterproof construction that keeps your belongings from getting wet or damaged. This 100 percent waterproof dry sack is suitable for quick submersion and is able to float if dropped in the water.
It comes with fully adjustable and removable straps that connect at the roll top and the side D-ring. You can either use one strap to hang over one shoulder or two straps to wear like a backpack. The dry bag has a roll down top and quick-click buckle for closure. There is plenty of room to also use the D-ring for connecting the dry bag to a kayak, canoe, or boat. This Surfun design is very easy to clean with its smooth, durable material.
- Made of heavy-duty and durable vinyl for rough usage
- 100 percent waterproof dry sack
- Fully adjustable and removable strap that connects to a D-ring
- Suitable for quick submersion and is able to float
- Sturdy welded seams to guarantee a flawless waterproof construction
- Available from a 5-liter to 55-liter in size
Verdict: The Surfun waterproof dry bag is just the thing to protect your clothing and valuables when sand, water, or dirt is a concerning factor. The Surfun brand offers six sizes with the capacity ranging from a 5-liter to 55-liter and is the best value on the market. It also is available in six different colors from a bright yellow to fluorescent green to a sleek black.
- The design is durable and easy to clean
- Available in six different capacities and colors
- Built to last and protect items from getting wet
- 100 percent waterproof
- Difficult to stay organized as there are no pockets inside or outside
Runner Up – Kastking Dry Bags, 100 Percent Waterproof Storage Bags
- Innovative Transparent Window Design: You will love the clear see-through window panel that allows you to see what gear is inside your dry...
- Double Layer Gives Extra Security: Tough, durable 100% waterproof 500D PVC material, fusion welded seams, removable adjustable shoulder...
- Never worry about dropping it in water or water getting in. Unique water-tight DOUBLE overlap roll top provides the best-in-class waterproof...
The Kastking waterproof storage bag design is made from tough, durable 100 percent guaranteed 500D PVC material. It comes with fusion-welded seams for added waterproof protection with a unique watertight double overlap top. The roll top should be rolled down several times before connecting the quick-click buckle closure. After the dry storage bag is closed, it can float.
In a pinch, a dry bag can act as a supplement emergency floatation device, not to replace a PFD. The innovative transparent window design is a feature that allows you to see into the bag. This durable design comes with a removable and adjustable shoulder strap and a handle that provides two different ways to carry this dry storage bag. The Kastking heavy-gauge non-rip fabric design is rated as the runner up in the dry bag market.
- Can float on water after it is rolled and buckled
- Has a quick-click buckle closure
- Innovative transparent window design
- It is a waterproof, sand proof, dustproof, and snow proof design
- Tough, durable 100 percent waterproof 500D PVC material
- Fusion-welded seams for added waterproof protection
- Removable adjustable shoulder carry strap
- Unique watertight double overlap roll top
Verdict: The Kastking dry bags have a round base in all three sizes from 10-lier to 30-liter for easy packing accessibility. The design is not only waterproof, but also sand proof, snow proof, and dustproof. This 100 percent waterproof storage bag is ideal for those who enjoy water activities.
- Window panel makes it easy to see what is inside the dry bag
- It can float in the water well enough to be a supplemental flotation device
- Great gift for someone who loves water activities
- Lighter and more flexible for easy packing
- No internal or external storage pockets
Also Consider – Boncas Waterproof Pouch, 20-Liter Waterproof Bags with Phone Case
- Durable material: Boncas roll top dry bag has solid construction and stout seams, they made of a heavy-duty PVC tarpaulin, with strong...
- Excellent design: Large circular base gives it tremendous amount of space inside, excellent roll top functions keep all your things dry from...
- Useful accesory: Our top notch waterproof bag come with waterproof phone case, able to capture all your priceless memories while in the...
The Boncas waterproof pouch is made from heavy-duty PVC tarpaulin with solid construction and stout seams. On the back of the design, there is a quick, accessible pocket that you can place items such as a water bottle or snorkeling gear. In other words, only place items in the pocket that you don’t mind getting wet. The mesh front pocket is great for placing your wet swimming clothes.
It provides two adjustable and removable straps that allow you to carry the pouch backpack style or over one shoulder. This design comes with a waterproof phone case for the use of capturing underwater action memories. The Boncas waterproof bag is the perfect size for keeping everything dry. It also is great to have along when fishing, skiing, surfing, or canoeing. This lightweight and durable design are available in three different sizes, from 10-liter to 30-liter.
- Two adjustable and removable straps with durable hooks
- Has a solid construction and stout seams
- Comes with a waterproof phone case to capture priceless memories
- Made of heavy-duty PVC tarpaulin
- Strong, durable plastic buckles and D-rings
- Large circular base for added space
- Quick, accessible pocket on the back of the design
- Front mesh design holds damp items away from other valuables
Verdict: The Boncas waterproof pouch is great for storing your valuables and clothing while on a trip. This 20-liter design has a large circular base for extra space. Many individuals have also considered this design due to the valuable features it has to offer a buyer.
- You can separate wet clothes from other valuables
- Is excellent for hiking, surfing, and other water activities
- Provides two great ways to carry over the shoulder or like a backpack
- Can become heavy if you fully pack it to the top
Best Waterproof Dry Bag Buying Guide 2019
Level of Waterproofness
Dry bags claim to be waterproof, but many are not designed to be submerged for hours on end. The primary function of a dry bag is to protect your belongings from splashes, rain, snow, or a quick drop in the water and back out. The waterproofing is bound to certainly weaken to some extent if the dry bag is beneath the water for some time. Always check the detailed manufacturing instructions on waterproofing abilities before purchasing.
Typically, waterproof dry bags are made from heavy-duty vinyl or PVC rip top tarpaulin. Vinyl is great for keeping water out and can handle carrying heavy equipment; on the other hand, it also is of good quality for holding small personal items, as well. PVC rip top tarpaulin is an excellent material to keep your belongings dry and protected from snow, rain, and sand.
Most dry bags have a roll-top closure and are very sufficient in regards to waterproofness. The roll top closure system seals the dry bag with a combination of rolling the top down and a quick-click buckle. There are other styles of closure, such as a zipper or a press and seal mechanism. All-in-all the roll top closure is the best when it comes to keeping your belongings dry.
Straps and D-ring
Dry bags typically come with straps that are adjustable and removable for your convenience. Many dry bag designs are set up with either one or two straps for two ways to carry. The one strap design allows for over the shoulder or chest carry. The two-strap design allows for a backpack style carry. Both options are ideally easy-to-use and strong enough to handle the weight. The D-rings are used for clipping on and off the straps. D-rings also can be used to anchor your dry bag to a boat, canoe, or kayak. Straps and D-rings are great to have on your dry bag when traveling.
Having the correct dry bag size is important as you wouldn’t want one that is too big and bulky for just a few items. Many dry bags range from a 5-liter to 55-liter in size. The 5-liter is great for a few small items such as keys, a cell phone, or snacks; whereas, the larger sizes can also handle clothing, gear, and other accessories. The bigger the size, the more stuff can fit in the dry bag to be protected from the elements.
How the dry bag is constructed will determine its use. Many dry bags have fusion-welded seams or stout seams to ensure the waterproof ability. If you’re purchasing a dry bag to take along out on the water, you will want a dry bag that has a strong, durable construction. If you’re looking for a dry bag that is lightweight for camping, then you will need one that can stand up against moisture and mold. Always read how durable a dry bag is before purchasing.
Types of Dry Bags
There are several types of dry bags on the market. Below is a broad-spectrum breakdown of the kind of dry bags that are available today. Look at each type closely as you may come across the style you’re looking to buy.
Kayak Dry Bags
Anytime you’re planning on a trip out on the water, it’s very important to have a dry bag. Most 5-liter bags are small enough to go in the hatch of a kayak for easy storage. Kayaks tend to tip if you’re not careful, thereby causing everything inside to get wet. If you have your valuables in a waterproof dry bag, then everything of vital value will stay dry. In rough water, you may want to strap down the dry bag using the D-rings for extra security.
PVC Dry Bags
This type of dry bag has long-lasting durability and is strong enough to withstand a rugged adventure. PVC is naturally waterproof, making it the ideal material to make a dry bag, but the durability and strength of PVC take it one step further. The only downside to a PVC dry bag is that it tends to be heavier than other dry bags.
Barrel Roll-Top Dry Bags
The barrel roll top is one of the most common dry bags on the market. These bags are extremely ready for any rough water-related adventures. With its cylinder shape design, it can go just about anywhere. To seal this type of bag, you hold the open end together, roll it down a few times, and then secure; it with a quick-click buckle. This closure will keep your belonging nice and dry.
Lightweight Dry Bags
Like any type of backpack or carrying bag, you will find that dry bags come in different levels of weight. Lightweight dry bags are great for traveling, hiking, and going out on the water. If you’re doing an activity that requires a lot of walking or carrying of equipment, then it’s best to have a lightweight dry bag to carry your essentials.
Backpack Dry Bags
If you’re looking for a style that allows your hands to be free, the backpack type can make that happen. These bags are identical to the barrel roll top, with most being the same sealing closure design. The only main difference is that the backpack style has two straps instead of only one.
Phone Dry Bags
If you’re someone that tends to drop things, then having a phone dry bag will be a lifesaver to you. Phone dry bags will keep the water out and away from your phone. Many cell phones, when wet, are destroyed and are no longer of use. To avoid, damage to your cell phone, consider getting a phone dry bag. Phone dry bags make it possible to take pictures underwater.
Camera Dry Bag
Camera dry bags are great when you need to take your expensive equipment in and out of the rain. A dry bag will protect your camera from getting damaged. There are two different styles of dry bags: the roll top dry bag and a waterproof housing case. The roll top dry bag is narrowed to hold your camera snugly and has the same closure as the barrel roll-top dry bag. The waterproof housing case is a clear design that allows you to use your camera while in the case.
Frequent Asked Questions
Is it possible to remove mildew from a dry bag?
Mildew is a fungus that may cause respiratory problems and is not something to take for granted. It also has been said excessive exposure to mildew may be linked to nervous system disorders, depression, and allergies. Therefore, it is suggested to clean the mildew off the surface immediately, so it doesn’t lead to more problems.
When cleaning a dry bag, you will want to use warm water; however, don’t make the water too hot as it will weaken the seams. Non-detergent soap is best, but for a more effective result, mix salt and lemon together then apply it to the mildew. Most importantly, never put the dry bag in the dryer as it will damage the waterproofness; instead, let it dry naturally.
How do you seal a dry bag?
Sealing the bag is one of the most important aspects of it being waterproof. Most dry bags have a roll top feature. The opening at the top of the dry bag gets placed together first, then you roll it down three or five times, and connect the quick-click buckle. This process is not hard, but you will want to be sure it is done correctly; if not, the seal will be compromised.
What to use when you’re repairing a dry bag?
Everything that is made out of material has some wear and tear, and dry bags are no different. However, when repairing a dry bag, you want to be extra cautious as it may damage the water resistance aspect of the dry bag. There are plenty of adhesives on the market that can repair small holes and keep the watertight seal intact.
What do welded seams do for a dry bag?
Welded fabric seams are basically two pieces of material bonded together to become a large piece of waterproof fabric. The tremendous degree of waterproofing is attained by a process known as high-frequency welding (HFW), which leaves the seam as strong as the surrounding material. As a result, the HFW process makes the dry bag waterproof around the seam.
Do dry bags float?
Yes, most brands do. However, it is suggested to only fill the bag ¾ of the way full, so air can fill the remaining ¼ of the bag. The combination of air and gear will give the dry bag the right amount of buoyancy needed to float.
Can dry bags be submerged?
It depends on the brand. The material on some of the cheaper brands is less resistant than the other brands. The more expensive brands have stronger and more durable material that can withstand being submerged in water for a short time without making your belongings wet.
What are dry bags made of?
Most dry bags are made of PVC rip top tarpaulin or heavy-duty vinyl. Both materials are strong, durable, and waterproof. The material is bonded together with high-frequency welding to create the perfect waterproof seam. You may find some dry bags made out of nylon material, which is less water-resistant. Although, are great to protect items from sand, dirt, and water splashes.
Is a dry bag suitable for swimming short distances?
Yes, a dry bag is sturdy enough to withstand the roughness of the water. However, you will want to be sure that the roll top is securely closed. It also is essential to leave some air in the dry bag to help create enough buoyancy for it to float.
Is it possible to use your cell phone in a dry bag?
Yes, you can answer or make calls easily with most cell phone dry bags. The touch-sensitiveness of your I-Phone or Smartphone is still strongly affective for texting. A dry bag also will make it possible for you to take memorable pictures underwater.
How much does a 20-liter dry bag hold?
A 20-liter dry bag can carry a lot of stuff, but not quite as much as the larger dry bags. Most 20-liter dry bags can hold an extra set of clothes, a pair of shoes, and a beach towel. If you’re considering going on a long week trip, then the 55-liter would be a better choice.
There are several things in life that we all don’t really need, but when it comes to protecting your belongings, that’s different. If you’re out on the water often, a dry bag is well worth the purchase. Nobody ever would want to go out on the water and not protect your valuables. Dry bags are a lifesaver for many, and we hope this buying guide has helped you to make an accurate decision on one of these five fabulous products.
In this buying guide, we gave a detailed explanation of each feature and the different types of dry bags available on the market today. If you’re someone who buys things to match everything, then you may want to consider, our top pick in this review, the MARCHWAY floating dry bag, as it offers 16 different colors. Another great option that provides excellent floatation is the runner up, the Kastking Dry Bags.